Saturday, January 21, 2006

Trawling the World of Dreams

You only have to read Samuel Coleridge's Kubla Khan to appreciate what can be done with material that has been trawled from the world of our dreams.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

huddled, naked without identiy
upon a precipice, the gateway
to the eighth continent
I scan, searching for small signs
that will embolden me to
go against the flow
free falling into the abyss
of my nightmares
to fearlessly ride
the foam edged rapids

It was Sigmund Freud who dubbed dreams 'the guardians of sleep' and explained that they were all to do with wish fulfillment. No wonder nightmares and severe anxiety dreams did not manage to dovetail into his philosophy. Freud was forced to treat them as problems of neurosis rather than straight forward dreaming. Maybe they are a way of revealing more about ourselves and our resiliance in times of crisis. We may get distressed but we survive to dream again and if we don't close our eyes or try to push these dreams from our minds maybe we will find specks of gold that will form a nugget.

Check out the old section on Dreams that I have at Soul Food for some more activities.

2 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I think we prepare by embracing whatever comes from our sleeping time.
I find a recurrent dream where I am neglecting a baby very disturbing but since I have never neglected a child or animal I do not feel guilty. I am just curious about the message from my unconscious.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

One thing is certain, I often take to my bed when reality gets too much. Tucked under the doona nothing seems so bad and I rarely end up having a nightmare that is more terrifying than some realities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home