Friday, January 20, 2006

Nightmares for Children

Nightmares got me thinking of how night is for children, often full of
scarey things misunderstood. I remember once a ball I had taken with
me to bed (probably after a favourite game and it was wonderful) seemed
frightening in the dark. It was pale blue rubber and had all kinds of moons and stars
raised on the surface, so I guess it might have been like a world to me.
It probably started out near the pillow, but ended up a monster near my feet.
Waking from a particular nightmare, finding it crammed under the tightly tucked
sheets (no doonas in those days!), the soft ball shape upset me
in the dark, because I had no concept it was there, and I howled and my parents came
running, of course! My mind had conjured up black shadows on the walls, no doubt, and
taken them into my dreams. The black figures in my dreams seemed real and very nasty.
Very embarrassing to find out it was only my favourite ball.
It was amazing how scarey it was to a child in the night, however:-)
copyright Monika Roleff 2006.

4 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Now I remember that I had a quaint lampshade by my bed when I was a child. It had two Dutch children, a boy and a girl, sitting on either side. By day it was lovely but by night, when the moonlight streamed in our bedroom window it frightened me. Even now I sometimes have to really wake myself, look around and orientate before being able to put my head back on the pillow.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Yes! Leonie, has this happened to you, too?

And Heather, totally. How does this happen, I wonder??

And quite often on their wedding eve, I have read people dream of their future spouse as a gorgon, or monster??? This is taken as a common thing. Any thoughts?

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I agree with you Leonie. Dreaming of an intended as a Gorgon must come from our survival instincts and need to protect ourselves from danger. Intuition providing a sign like this is simply cautioning and making one check. Like you Leonie, my perspective is more likely to be thrown out of kilter during the waking hours.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Yeah, I think those imagined gorgons are to do with fear of commitment, and I agree with what you both say:-) Mostly they say once they marry it disappears!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home